© David S. Shields
Photographers for Ziegfeld #5: Campbell Studio_david Jun 17, '09 7:38 AM
by david for group historicalziegfeldgroup #089
The New York Studio of Alfred S. Campbell's photographic empire, Campbell Art Company, opened in 1900 under the direction of William A. Morand, assisted by the pictorialist, Rudolph Eickemeyer, Jr., until 1905. From 1905 to 1909 Eickemeyer partnered with Charles H. Davis, but upon Morand's death in 1909 and the offer to oversee the photographic work in New York, Eickemeyer returned, and his reign marked the fashionability of Campbell studio upon Broadway.
Ziegfeld did not contract with Campbell until 1915, and used the studio until 1923-24. The majority of the portraiture that Campbell Studio did for the Follies was lensed by Arthur F. Rice, best known to photographic history for his Hollywood work on Nazimova's "Salome" and "Camille" and Valentino's "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Rice shot candid home portraits as well as the costume shots that Ziegfeld favored, and unlike Johnston, had a pronounced taste for contemporary clothing.
Rice was a versatile camera man, capable of doing the light background shots favored by newspaper editors, as well as the Rembrandt lighting that the magazine art directors cherished. The studio had the capacity to produce one of a kind vintage art prints as well as drum-developed silver nitrate publicity images for PR distribution. David S. Shields
Author : david